Mar 25, 2023
On this Month's Episode, Dr. Rebecca Gibson returns to talk
about Margaret Atwood's speculatively "fictional" dystopia: "The
Handmaid Tale" Franchise. We talk how the adaptation(s) is a
reflection of historical events, cogent to current events, and a
possible oracle for the future. Get ready for a discussion of
Commodification, Rape Culture, and the interlocking systems of
oppression. "Blessed Be."
Update on Dr.
Gibson's work: 2:11-8:20
- Upcoming books
- Preview of Dr. Gibson's next episode
Basics of The
Handmaid's Tale Franchise 8:21-50:10
- The Franchise's Components and Structure
- The Anthropological Bookends
- Product of it's time?
- The Adaptation
- Timeline of the Franchise
- Personal Discovery of the original Text
- Historical Influences on Atwood's work
- No Shame in Current Politics
- Atwood's ending too Hopeful?
- Marketplace Activism
- "The Gibson Standard"
- Historical Impact of the Books and the Series
- The importance of Choice
- A Social Justice Nighmare
- "Better, doesn't mean better for everyone."
- Men harmed by the Patriarchy
- Commodification of Atwood's work
- Can you Fully Deconstruct a System?
- Canceling Academics in our Fields
- The Partiarchical Bargain in Gilead
- Masculinization, Militarization and Knowledge Suppression
- Systemization of Emotion
- 'The System's' defense mechanisms
All Clips Provided under Faire Use
Michael Kimmel Alegations